The most common issue men face while shaving is bleeding and if you have acne problems or irritated skin, shaving can prove to be a hard job. In this scenario, you need your skin to heal faster.
Plus, The biggest problem for a man who has to work or go out often is irritated skin or a face with cuts but if you tend to use a good aftershave, you can free yourself from all sorts of worries that you are likely to face after you have shaved.
Aren’t you interested to know what we have in here for you?
A solution to most of your skin problems after you are done with shaving.
To avoid the hassle of running to different markets or asking different people for the suggestion, I laid a review of the 10 best aftershaves black men can use!
You might have skipped using your aftershave but after going through the guide you will get to know that using it is quite important to heal your skin.
Most men prefer razor blades to shave their face as it provides the best shave but a razor can leave your face with bleeding cuts.
To illustrate, the only good you can do to your skin is to use a good aftershave because it arrests the bleeding from your face and leaves your skin smooth. Therefore, it’s a win-win if your aftershave also hydrates and moisturizes your skin!
A good aftershave is also recommended for better hygiene. Moreover, it also helps prevent acne. And it keeps your skin bacteria-free along with your pores clean.
So, to avoid the regret of wasting money on something that doesn’t work for you, take a look at the list of products given below, and choose the best aftershave for your skin!
10 Best Aftershaves for Black Men 2021 – Your desired aftershave without any Hassle
1. Jack Black After Shave Cooling Gel – Soothe, Hydrate, and Calm Your Skin Instantly
It contains the juice of aloe leaf which helps in smoothening and softening the skin. Rosemary, lavender, and sage contain vitamins and antioxidants which help the skin to heal.
Balm mint (antioxidant) helps protect your skin from damage. Lastly, chamomile reduces irritation and redness from your skin.
The best thing about this product is that it is fragrance-free and it is also completely organic. It is dermatologically tested and cruelty-free.
Jack Black aftershave gel is completely fragrance-free for example if you are looking for one that doesn’t make you feel like a woman who is leaving a sweet fragrance behind wherever she goes.
In addition, this product is also completely alcohol-free. Furthermore, the benefit of using an alcohol-free formula after shaving on your skin is that it helps to soothe razor burns and razor bumps.
For instance, if the percentage of alcohol in your aftershave is a bit more than average, it can cause your skin to burn after you have cut yourself during shaving.
Hence, this is a natural aftershave containing natural ingredients. It not only soothes your skin but also helps fight the bacteria.
- It is perfect for sensitive skin
- It works for a sunburnt skin also
- The product is fragrance-free
- Free of alcohol
- It is purely natural
- The consistency of this product is promising
- This product is a bit pricey if you are on a budget.
- If you like scented products, this might not be the right one for you.
2. Tend Skin After Shave Solution – Get Rid of the Ingrown Hair and Razor Burns
Whatever you do, it remains irritated, red, and puffy. Moreover, plucking it makes it more painful for you and it leaves your sensitive skin more irritated.
Are you struggling with problems like ingrown hair?
Tend skin has presented the solution; Tend skin after shave solution for ingrown hair.
The solution to all your shave-related issues!
Tend Skin Sensitive skin Men’s Aftershave Lotion is specially created to be gentle on sensitive and delicate skin. It works for both men and women.
Moreover, is easy to use and it also reduces the appearance of ingrown hair. It soothes irritated skin. Furthermore, it also controls and arrests the redness of the skin after you shave.
Razor burn is basically the itching, redness, or irritation of the skin after you shave. A razor bump is when the hair is grown and it enters another follicle near its own follicle, as a result, it turns into a bump.
If you prefer shaving using a lubricant, you can try the Tend Skin Air Shave Gel as well. And it’s aftershave later for best results.
- Great product for razor bumps
- It frees you from the ingrown hairs problem
- The product is equally effective for women after they shave any part of their body or after waxing
- It is good for sensitive skin
- It dries up quickly on the skin
3. Lather & Wood Shaving After Shave Balm – Alcohol-free, Moisturizes your Skin
This is completely natural and more than that, it is alcohol-free.
Moreover, it contains no harmful chemicals or any sort of fillers. Fillers and chemicals do you no good, they are just harmful to your skin.
You can also gift this to someone. For example, if you are a woman looking for a good aftershave for your husband, brother, or father, this can be the gift you have been looking for.
Besides that, the packaging of this product makes it worthy of being a gift.
This lather & wood aftershave balm leaves your skin smooth and silky after use. Second, it also helps in reducing the razor burns and skin irritation that is likely to happen after shaving.
Third, it also works as a moisturizer that freshens up your skin leaving you with a healthier look.
- It is alcohol-free
- Works as a great moisturizer
- It works well for sensitive skin
- The scent is not super strong
- This product has no such cons that can be mentioned
4. Era Organics Aftershave Serum for Razor Bumps & Ingrown Hairs – Natural & Organic
Why should you buy it? Everyone faces the ingrown hair problem now and then. It is something that happens to almost everyone. No matter what you do, for instance, whether you use an electric shaver or a razor, you still get bumps and ingrown hair.
This aftershave works for all sorts of skin types. More than that, this is an aftershave for ingrown hairs as well. It is utterly organic and natural.
The best part about this aftershave is that:
It can also be used by women and not only men.
First things first, it fights acne and blemishes on your skin. Second, it is great for hair bumps and inflammation. It leaves your skin soft and healthy.
Plus, this aftershave is extremely nourishing. Besides all that, it is safe from all sorts of cheap chemicals.
For happier and healthier skin, people tend to do a lot. They go for different treatments. But the most important thing is what we mostly forget. Yes! A good aftershave is something you all need.
This Era Organics Aftershave treats ingrown hair. Not only that but also leaves your skin burn-free and hydrated as it is also a moisturizer for your skin.
For a smoother and softer post-shave skin, this product might be your go-to.
- Black walnut: It is rich in potassium, magnesium, vitamin E, omega fatty acids, and antioxidants. It soothes irritation and redness. It is anti-inflammatory. Also fights psoriasis, eczema, and acne.
- Burdock root: It increases the blood flow to your skin leaving it healthier. It fights eczema and acne. It also treats chronic skin.
- Ginger root: It contains gingerol. It is a kind of chemical that has a high number of antioxidants and it is also highly anti-inflammatory. Moreover, it boosts the immune system, and it is also anti-fungal. It fights off bacteria and is rich in essential oils and minerals. It also enhances circulation.
- White oak bark: It helps closing wounds. It fights off germs and also works for inflamed skin leaving your skin soft and smooth.
- Made of all-natural and organic ingredients
- Works for all skin types
- Reduces ingrown hairs effectively
- Can also be used by women
- Works great for razor burns. Leaves your skin smooth
- If you have extremely sensitive skin, you might need a second thought on this product
- If you use too much of the product on your face, it will start to peel off and that is not a pleasant visual at all
5. ArtNaturals Smooth Touch Ingrown Hair Removal Serum – Perfect For Men & Women Both
It has tea tree oil which helps in healing the skin. Moreover, it is also antiseptic which is beneficial for you if you use a razor to shave.
Plus, it contains aloe vera which soothes your skin. Of course, this is a mixture of perfect extracts that are botanical which help in cleansing your skin. It also reduces trapped/ingrown hairs.
Being a perfect aftershave to help reduce razor burns and razor bumps, ArtNaturals Aftershave is also a great moisturizer that leaves your skin hydrated and nourished after use.
Plus, It eliminates the ingrown painful hairs leaving your skin soft and smooth. Moreover, it works well for delicate and sensitive skin.
The process of hair removal is painful but it also comes with a handful of side effects. For instance, it might leave your skin itchy and with burns. And razor burns are the worst of it.
It makes your skin irritated along with a high risk of ingrown hairs and razor bumps.
The ArtNaturals healing formula is a mixture of aloe vera, menthol, and tea tree oil. Consequently, this concoction rushes the cooling effect to provide relief and calm your skin. It clears out the pores (clogged) from your face and heals the dead skin cells that are the main cause of the appearance of ingrown hair.
As it eliminates the threat of ingrown hair, it also reduces the risk of razor bumps. We all know that razor bumps are common in the beard area of men.
However, the soothing effect of this aftershave will free you from all sorts of skin irritation and burns. And it will also prevent any more skin breakouts.
- Jojoba & Chamomile: Anti-inflammatory. Anti-fungal. Anti-bacterial. Cleanse out your pores. Prevents ingrown hairs by untangling and dislodging them.
- Lavender & Rosehip: It prevents the irritation of your skin. Exfoliates your skin. It allows natural hair growth which is 100% irritation-free.
- Works great to eliminate razor bumps
- Moisturizes and nourishes your skin
- Meant for both men and women
- It doesn’t sting even if you use it immediately after shaving
- It is inexpensive
- You might feel a little burn on your skin if it is irritated and you have super sensitive skin
- Some of you might not like its scent as it is more like a sunscreen
6. NIVEA Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm – Great for Men with Sensitive Skin
First, it improves the condition of your skin over time. As you use it more and more, the more it improves your skin.
Second, it is absolutely alcohol-free (drying alcohol). Say goodbye to irritations caused by shaving with this aftershave.
Third, it has a light fragrance loved by many men and women. Lastly, it is specially tested on all sorts of skin especially on men having sensitive skin so it proves to be a great choice if you have sensitive skin and want to take good care of it.
Let’s check it out in detail:
It is an improved formula specially designed for men having sensitive skin. Also, it contains Chamomile and a huge percentage of Vitamin E. Moreover, it also contains the extracts of Witch Hazel.
It leaves your skin smooth and refreshed. In addition to that, you feel comfortable with your skin even after you shave, and gives you a healthier look for the rest of the day.
Nivea has been proven among the best skincare products not only for women but for men also. For example, Nivea products such as lotions and creams are highly used by women all across the world.
But the products such as pre-shave shaving foam and aftershave for men launched by Nivea are not any less.
Nivea Aftershave not only provides you with the best results leaving your skin moisturized and healthy-looking, but it also helps you fight skin irritation leaving it soft and smooth for a long time.
As a result, it is tested to be the best for men with sensitive skin.
- Great for men with sensitive skin
- It has a pleasant fragrance
- You can also mix it with your shaving cream for a smooth shave
- It will free you from skin irritation completely
- It won’t leave your skin dry or irritated at all
- No itchy skin at all
- Its price is also great
- The consistency is a bit thinner
- You might not like its scent because it is very light
7. Proraso After Shave Balm, Sensitive Skin – One of the Most Soothing Solutions
Who wouldn’t like a 2 in 1?
Moreover, this product is utterly alcohol-free which helps in providing immediate relief to the skin right after you shave.
However, if you have irritated skin or if your skin becomes irritated after shaving, the Proraso aftershave balm will help you get rid of it.
It contains a light scent of apple and lime. In addition to that, the ingredients used in the manufacturing of this product are 100% natural.
There are no artificial colors or chemicals added to this aftershave balm that might cause an unpleasant side effect on your skin.
The brand Proraso is originated in Italy. It is known to be producing shaving products for a very long time. Records mark the first product that they launched was in 1948.
However, this brand is widely known because of its quality products. Hence, they make shaving easier whether you are at home or at a barbershop.
- Great for sensitive skin
- It not only works best as an aftershave but it also moisturizes your skin as cream would
- The scent is quite pleasing
- Will leave your face fresh and cool
- Some people find it hard to use if compared to the products that come in easy-to-use plastic bottles
- If you prefer scented products, this might not be for you as its scent is not long-lasting
8. Baxter of California After Shave Balm – Find a Cooling Sensation
It protects your skin from razor burns and irritation caused right after you shave your face. Furthermore, it also fights off the dryness on your skin and leaves it healthy-looking and moisturized.
Moreover, it is a good calming and conditioning product for your skin. For this purpose, it was made alcohol-free. It leaves your skin healthier and soft.
Baxter of California is known widely for its skin, hair, and shaving products. Therefore, each of their formula and product is specially tested for the best performance and to satisfy their customers.
No doubt in that as their shaving products are award-winning.
- Although it possesses a peculiar scent yet no one seems to dislike it
- It is alcohol-free which results in relieving the razor burns
- Doesn’t leave your skin oily or greasy
- Its price is reasonable as well
- Helps stop skin irritation and prevents ingrown hairs as well
- Lastly, it has a light scent
- However, there is no such con to this product that can be mentioned
9. Gillette After Shave Gel – For Sensitive Skin
Gillette aftershave for sensitive skin provides you with a great and high soothing effect leaving a sort of coolness on your skin after you have shaved. The coolness helps in giving you a fresh look with a shaved face.
Moreover, the Gillette After Shave Gel is formulated with skin calmers along with moisturizers that are gentle to your skin.
However, the Gillette aftershave for sensitive skin provides a cooling and soothing effect on your skin. Keeping in view the ‘sensitive skin’, this product is lightly fragranced. The scent is not too strong; it is a mild one.
- It works well for sensitive skin
- Soothes irritated and dry skin quite well
- It is not sticky
- Nongreasy; does not leave your skin oily
- Leaves no residue
- Moreover, it not only works for your shaved face but your shaved head also
- At the same time, the Gillette aftershave balm has no such cons that can be mentioned
10. Shea Moisture Tea Tree Oil & Butter After Shave Elixir – For Smooth & Clear, Bump-Free Skin
However, the Shea Moisture After Shave not only just cleans the pores; it also tightens them. So, this is a really good product to use on your face.
First, it cleans your skin, and second, moisturizes it. In addition to that, it also helps with razor bumps and razor burns.
Shea Moisture After Shave is made completely using natural ingredients. Moreover, it helps with razor burns and razor bumps.
- It works well for sensitive skin
- The scent is mild. Not strong
- It closes the pores on your skin
- Moreover, it can also be used by women
- It might sting a little when applied to the face because it contains alcohol
- If you prefer scented products then this might not be the one for you
Best Aftershave for Black Men Buyer's Guide:
Now I am going to guide you through the process of buying the best product for yourself and your skin type. However, there are certain things to keep in mind before you buy something that is going to apply to your face. So, here we go.
It is common that when we have to buy something and have a lot of options in front of us, we are prone to getting confused and puzzled. It is human nature that makes it hard to decide what to buy out of a hundred products.
The main issue here is that there are certain products or brands that we like and we prefer those over everything else.
But sometimes our favorite product or brand disappoints us really bad. That is not your fault or mine. Therefore, there are certain factors to keep in mind before you buy anything.
Whether you love the brand or not, it has to do its job well. That is what matters. So, I am going to guide you about buying the right aftershave that might do the trick for you!
Before you buy an aftershave, keep in view your skin type. For instance, if you have sensitive skin, go for the best aftershave manufactured for sensitive skin. But it won’t hurt you to ask for suggestions.
YES! If any of your acquaintances has used a product that you want to buy, you can always ask them.
If you have dry or irritated skin, you should go for the one that works best with your skin type. Hence, don't go for the mainstream products as they don’t work well for everyone.
If you shave regularly then you need a good aftershave for that. The one that doesn’t damage your skin in any way and works well for you.
If you are a barber and need something professional, then I would suggest you look for a product that goes with all sorts of skin types. However, you can also buy an aftershave specifically for people with sensitive skin.
Moreover, if you want it for personal use at home then you should always keep check of your skin type. Or if you have any skin problems, you might as well consult your physician.
What is the difference between an Aftershave and a Cologne?
The difference between cologne and aftershave is that a cologne contains a high percentage of perfume and has a strong scent, whereas an aftershave does not have much perfume in it. The most commonly asked question is what can we use aftershave as a cologne?
Well, yes, you can. But as it is not a cologne, the scent will wear off quickly because it is not long-lasting. A cologne lasts longer because it is made for that purpose to give off a pleasant scent.
But you cannot use cologne as an aftershave because a cologne contains perfume oil and no one likes oil on their skin right after they shave!
However, aftershaves are used after shaving or for feeling fresh in the morning. An aftershave gives your skin a fresh look. Whereas, cologne or perfume is used to cover poor hygiene. Cologne has a stronger scent compared to an aftershave.
Want the Perfect Shave? Here are a few tips for it:
- The best time to shave? In the morning. When you wake up consequently your skin is the most relaxed and softest which makes shaving easier.
- I would suggest you use a Pre-Shaving cream. By making the hair straight and soft, it makes shaving easier for you. Yet your skin also gets ready for shaving.
- Furthermore, use a wet and warm towel to wrap it on your face as a barber would do. If you cannot do that then, just shave after you take a shower. That way, your skin is hydrated and soft due to the warm water.
- Use soap and a brush or shaving cream to create the perfect lather. By doing this, it will increase the volume of your facial hair which helps a lot in shaving making it easier as compared to creating a lather without using a brush.
- Besides that, for the rich and perfect lather, apply the cream or soap on your face, wet the brush you are going to use and move your brush on your face in a circular motion. Nothing beats that.
- While you are shaving, keep your hand firm. Do not put a lot of pressure. Keep it gentle but firm. And keep your skin pulled tightly to avoid any cuts. And don’t forget to follow the natural lines of your face.
- Always keep in mind to change your razor after you have shaved twice or thrice with it. As too much usage of a single razor can reduce its effectiveness and it results in friction which might prove harmful as it can damage your skin.
- The most important part of shaving is keeping your razor as clean as you can. If you have gone for a swipe or two of them while shaving, rinse it off with warm water. And continue.
- For the perfect clean shave, one pass won’t do it. So don’t hesitate in applying the lather and shaving again!
- If you neglect your post-shave routine, you are doing yourself no favor.
- Use an aftershave as it is an important part of the shave you are doing. Your skin still needs to heal and get rid of the irritation. Plus, you need to get rid of the germs or bacteria from your face.
- Last but not least, take good care of your skin. If you face any issue regarding any of the products that you use, discontinue and consult your doctor/dermatologist.
Safety warning: Most aftershaves are flammable and are meant for external use. Avoid contact with eyes. These products are not tested by the experts they can be used during nursing or pregnancy as these products are for women also.
Do not use your aftershave with other skin moisturizers or products. If any sort of discomfort or irritation occurs, discontinue its use.
Furthermore, do not use the product on itching, irritated, or broken skin. If you are allergic to certain things, test the product first. Talk to your physician if any sort of irritation occurs. And discontinue use. It is only for external use. Keep out of eyes.
For men facing any sort of skin issues, acne, or broken skin, do not use any product without the consultation of your dermatologist.
How to use: After shaving, apply a small (not too much) amount of the product to the affected area of the skin. Leave it as it is. Do not rinse it off. If you want to moisturize your skin at any time of the day again, apply the product.
After you are done shaving, take a little amount of the product and apply a thin layer of it to your skin. Do not overdo it.
Important tips: All you need is only a thin layer of the product. Use an applicator or cotton (cotton ball). You can also use the roll-on applicator. Don’t wipe off the product. Leave it as it is.
Pro tip: Besides shaving, you can also apply the Tend Skin Aftershave Solution for Ingrown hairs at night before you go to sleep to get rid of the ingrown hair and for soft and smooth skin. Once your skin is clear, reduce its usage to only once after shaving.
FAQs about the Best Aftershave for Black Men:
To provide you ease, I have reviewed the 10 best aftershaves for black men so that you can look up your desired product that meets your expectations and do the trick for you.
The product that you are buying and for whatever purpose, is supposed to provide you with that and do the job for you. Or else, it is an absolute waste of money.
As it is a waste of money, it is also a waste of time.
It is never easy to find the perfect product for you but the least you can do is try to find one. And I have made it easier for you as much as I could.
Whatever aftershave you buy for yourself, make sure it suits your skin type. And doesn’t cause any sort of skin problem or skin irritation. Always keep in mind to check the features and specifications of the product. If you already have damaged or irritated skin, you better not buy an aftershave that contains alcohol.
Also, if you want to keep your face free from all sorts of germs as there are people who are extremely hygienic, an aftershave containing alcohol is the best for you.
If you have acne, I would prefer you don’t use any aftershave or you can consult a dermatologist for the matter.
Lastly, even if you choose your product keeping in mind the major points it can still cause any sort of problem to your skin. Nothing is perfect.
Now, that you have all the guidance you need on the best aftershaves for black men, all that is left to do is buy your desired product.
I would suggest you buy it online as it is easier and you can still get more information about the product from the site that you are buying it.
The Baxter of California After Shave Balm might be a good choice as it also works on your skin as a moisturizer.
You can also consider Gillette After Shave Gel as the brand is highly known and highly recommended by most people. Both of the products are good for sensitive skin.
But if you ask for my personal opinion, Lather & Wood Shaving After Shave Balm might be your go-to product.
Besides that, it works great for sensitive skin. And if you are a woman looking to give your loved one like husband, father, or brother a gift, this will prove to be a good choice for that!