If you are looking for a way to avoid your barber problems; let me help you out identify the best clippers for black men.
Unlike most Caucasian Men, African American men tend to have thick, curly, and coarse hair, which cannot be tamed by just any hair clipper.
Luckily, we have a list of the best clippers for black hair available in the market.
With the sharpest blades and the heaviest motors, these cutters will give you the perfect hairstyle without even stepping out of your home.
To assist you to make a correct decision, I have explained the features and pros and cons of several great clippers below!
10 Best Clippers for Black Men 2023
Single Speed Universal
Now that you are familiar with the basics of these clippers, we’ll discuss them in detail so that you can decide which one is best for you.
1. Wahl Professional 5-Star 8148 – Cordless Clipper with Professional Accuracy
Moreover, it has the highest precision blade (stagger-tooth2161) that allows professionals to cut the coarsest and wildest beards with ease and efficiency.
As we discussed above, Wahl 5 star clippers are primarily designed to cater to the need of professionals.
However; in today’s world, where we barely have time to run our everyday events, going to a barber seems like a lot of work.
Lucky for us, with the Wahl 5 star magic clip, the barber comes to us. Furthermore, with the zero-overlying technology and a cordless design, the magic clip allows you to get a professional cut in the comfort of your own space.
Moreover, it is equipped with a rotatory motor and a crunch blade which gives a very easy textured cut.
Furthermore, this versatile Clipper allows a very professional cut because it comes with a ½ and 1 ½ guard which gives a very natural fade.
However, since there are no gaps between the blades, you might need to be extra careful if you don’t know your way around a clipper.
The magic clip comes with a recharging cord, its own oil, brushes, cleaning equipment, a recharging stand, and everything.
There is more:
Not only does the clipper comes with a solid lithium battery that runs for around two hours, but it also has a charging wire in case the battery does run out.
This means that if you forgot to charge your clipper, all you must do is connect it to the wire and continue cutting your hair.
However, it is true that you may notice the battery life, decreasing after a few initial uses.
Let’s check the pros and cons of this amazing clipper:
- You can use this clipper as a cordless or corded.
- Gives the highest professional accuracy.
- It has a crunch blade which gives a textured look and a professional fade.
- It has 90-minute battery life.
- The smooth taper lever allows effortless fading and blending.
- You need to be extra careful with the blades as they are extremely sharp, and you may get hurt if you are not a professional.
- The battery time decreases after the initial use.
2. Andis Master 01557 – Unbreakable, Lightweight Clipper for African American Men
The most noticeable quality of the Andis master clipper is its durability. Even though this clipper is a high-duty machine, the aluminum body is designed to increase its resilience and make sure that it is unbreakable.
Moreover, it has such an exceptionally comfortable grip that you could easily control it with only one hand. You can adjust clipper blades with different densities using a single lever which optimizes ease of use.
As if that was not enough:
Andis Master adjustable blade clipper comes with a dependable carbon-steel blade that varies from a density of 000 to 1 to give you a close shave as per your needs. However, the system might get a bit technical at times if you are a beginner.
In addition to this, a great feature that makes it a heavy-duty professional machine is its magnetic motor which gives up to 14,000 strokes per minute and ensures an all-around smooth tapering.
This highly professional clipper has a quiet and calm motor which allows you to put your 100% concentration in the cutting of your hair.
At the same time, however, the ultra-magnetic motor may cause your clipper to heat up at times if it keeps running for a longer time. There is pretty much nothing you can do to avoid it, except for giving short intervals.
Here is a list of the advantages and disadvantages of using Andis master 01557 in case you are still wondering.
- It has an unbreakable aluminum body.
- The heavy-duty machine has a magnetic motor which gives up to 14,000 cuts per minute.
- It is equipped with a quieter and calmer motor compared to other good clippers on the market.
- The carbon plated blade allows you to tame your rough curls easily.
- You can easily handle the clipper with one hand.
- A single lever allows you to adjust blade density from 000 to 1.
- It gives you a very close shave once you have mastered it.
- It’s great for tapering both beard and hair.
- Gets heated up if you use it for a long time.
- The aluminum body adds a bit of weight and it gets tiring to carry for prolonged periods of time.
3. Philips Norelco Hair Clipper HC7452/41 -Engineered for Extra Durability
Moreover, it is one of a kind cordless hair clipper that gives 120 minutes’ worth of battery charge. This means you can now clip your hair comfortably without being concerned about cords and wires and current availability.
The most noticeable feature of this clipper is its Dual Cut technology, which ensures that you cut your hair twice as faster. Imagine combining this technology with low-friction engineering.
That’s right! It doesn’t only cut faster, but also it ensures maximum skincare using its swift robust steel guard while doing so.
Furthermore, the Philips HC7452 has a very strong and durable lithium-ion battery which allows it to run for up to 120 minutes cordless. After which, you can still use it by plugging in the charger.
- Cordless technology allows you to use the clipper comfortably.
- It works for up to two hours on the battery after which you can plug in the charger for continuous use.
- The unique feature of Dual Cut technology ensures a faster and safer cut.
- It is equipped with washable blades, so you don’t waste hours on the sink cleaning after yourself.
- The turbo power button enhances speed and allows you to cut through the coarsest hair, making it perfect for African American hair.
- The single comb feature with a different clipping range allows a hassle-free and comfortable use.
- The size of the steel guard is quite big which makes it difficult to clip the hair around the smaller areas like the nose and back of your ears.
4. OSTER Classic 76 Universal Motor Clipper – Perfect for Heavy Duty Use
Not only does it have a powerful motor that ensures a continuous cut, but it is also equipped with detachable blades ranging from 000 to 1 for a smooth transition between blades.
Moreover, it has a blade guard, which allows you to cut your hair without any skin irritability or serious cuts.
In addition to this, the Oster classic 76 clipper has break-resistant housing, which means you get to use it for a long time without any fear of breakdowns. Moreover, it is designed with textured housing to maximize comfort during long days.
Furthermore, it can be easily used in both wet or dry hair. This feature means you don’t even have an excuse for not trimming your hair.
- The break-resistant housing increases the durability of the clipper.
- It is equipped with a strong and heavy motor which makes it perfect for professional use.
- It comes with three detachable blades for very convenient use.
- It also has a 9ft. the power cord which makes it easier to move around while shaving.
- It cuts through both dry and wet hair.
- Since it is a high-power motor, it heats up quickly.
5. Andis Professional T-Outliner Beard/Hair Trimmer – Style Your Hair Like a Pro
Moreover, Andis professional hair clipper is unisex; it is suitable for both genders.
In addition to this, it is used for trimming beards, mustaches, necks, and for trimming/ edging hair around the ears.
It is also quite speedy as it has a high-speed motor fitted into it which is powerful and magnetic.
Does the Voice of Running Motor Irritate You?
Well, this one assures quiet and cool performance, providing great comfort. It runs smoothly making your trimming experience great.
Furthermore, it can be used for dry shaving.
Andis professional 04710 is provided with a close-cutting T-blade. In addition to this, the blade’s fine teeth are perfect for close cutting and are ideal for getting perfect fades and design work. The Blades are of high quality they provide a longer life span.
Moreover, its compact size makes it easy to handle and use as it fits perfectly in one’s hands.
Andis professional hair clipper is available in 90 countries around the world. It has been almost 80 years since the arrival of Andis products. It has been designed and engineered in the United States.
- It can be comfortably used for shaving head and body along with facial grooming.
- It is powerful yet works quietly without any noise.
- It gives a close cut.
- It runs smoothly and strongly.
- Takes a bit longer to cut since the blade is shorter than full-size clippers.
- The trapped hair may become problematic over time, so it must be cleaned and oiled after every use.
6. Remington Shortcut Pro Self-Haircut Kit – Fits Perfectly in Your Hand
The shortcut Pro is cordless but it can also be used with the cord which makes it versatile.
Moreover, the kit is provided in a storage pouch which can be convenient for carrying with you on extended travels and for keeping in one place.
Furthermore, the blade is removable and washable. Also, there is an integrated washout port that makes the rinsing easier for continuous maintenance.
Remington HC4250 has extra-wide blades that provide maximum efficiency and are curved due to which the blade works naturally according to the shape of the head and provides a neat, smooth, and even cut.
The stainless steel blades provide great precision and cut through even the hair that is the thickest without the discomfort of pulling and ripping.
Moreover, combs of different lengths are provided within the kit which makes it easier to get a variety of cuts. Nine combs of different lengths are available which allows you to get the desired look.
Also, a cleaning brush is also available in the kit which allows the clipper to work efficiently and maintain its smooth performance.
You can easily fit this clipper in your palm due to which it can be easily moved around the ears and can be can comfortably reach the neckline and the back of the head.
The Remington shortcut pro has a lithium-ion battery. The lithium power allows the device to run for about 40 minutes after charging it for 4-hours.
- The clipper is designed to fit perfectly in one’s hand.
- Blades of different lengths are available which provide versatility.
- The blade is extra-wide to get the job done fast.
- The lithium power battery provides a longer run time.
- It can be used with or without the cord
- The clipper can be washed easily.
- The guards of the clipper might pop off while shaving.
7. Wahl Clipper Elite Pro High-Performance Haircut Kit – Trim Your Hair with Finest Sharpening Blades
Moreover, its finest precision blades remain sharp for a long time without losing its sharp trimming performance.
Also, its SECURE-FIT guide combs are made of stainless steel for providing smoothness and ease in haircutting.
Wahl 79602 is corded and has Wahl’s best-corded motor which is powerful and cuts hair faster. You can cut your hair forty percent faster due to sharper blades.
Wahl’s best guide combs are powerful and stronger than standard Wahl combs by seventy percent. The comb size is mentioned on the large-sized nameplate making it easier to see.
Furthermore, the device can be used for all hair types providing versatility in its function. This versatility is provided by the sharp blades that remain sharp for the longest time.
A storage case is provided along with the kit which makes it travel-friendly and helps in keeping the accessories in one place making it organized.
- The blades remain sharp for a longer time.
- It has a powerful motor which cuts hair faster.
- Its stainless-steel combs provide greater smoothness.
- The blades might be a little too sharp.
- The motor might get noisy If not cleaned properly.
8. Wahl Professional Super Taper II – Get Professional Trim Instantly
Moreover, it can be used on all hair types. Even the thickest ones! Also, it works great with multicultural hair.
Wahl super taper 2 is ultra-powerful which offers better precision and great speed. It has a v5000 motor that works faster than the ordinary electromagnetic clipper due to that, it can withstand the heavy stress of thick hair and provide perfect desired fades and cuts.
The blades of Wahl professional super taper II are sharp which works with precision and smoothness without irritating the skin, making it the best clipper for fading black hair. It protects the hair and skin while being used on all hair and skin types.
Furthermore, the device is to be used with a cord provided along with it. You may use it as a trimmer or a cutter depending on your need.
- It has an ultra-powerful motor which offers better precision.
- The blades are sharp, making it easier to trim/cut the hair.
- Can be used perfectly as a trimmer as well as a cutter.
- Its v5000 motor works better than the electromagnetic clipper.
- The motor might get a bit noisy.
9. Panasonic ER1611 – Get Yourself Groomed Right Now
The blades are designed in an X shaped to provide greater surface area and to deliver the unparalleled speed of cutting. The way the blades are designed it gets easier for the hair to get trapped in them and cut them easily without letting them go.
Moreover, this professional cordless hair clipper is accessorized with 3 different attachments which provide 6 types of cutting lengths (3mm – 15mm).
Furthermore, there is a dial on the trimmer which is available easily adjusting the cutting lengths (0.8 – 2 mm in 5 steps)
Without using the attachments, the scope of cutting length is 0.8mm to 2.0mm. When using the attachments, the scope of cutting length is 3.0mm up to 15.0mm.
Professionals all over the world prefer it because of its advanced cutting technology.
The blades provide an extremely powerful operation at 10,000rpm.
After charging it for 60 minutes it can be easily used for 50 minutes continuously.
- The blades are X shaped to provide a greater surface area.
- The trimmer has an extremely powerful operation.
- It can be used continuously for 50 minutes on a 60-minute
- A plug converter is available along with the trimmer.
- The blade might get a little slippery.
- The battery life might shorten from time to time.
10. Philips Norelco QC5560 – Rotate Your Blade Effectively
Moreover, it has eight different length locking settings; 15/32 inch to 19/32 inch.
The blades and comb of Norelco QC5560 have rounded edges to minimize the skin irritation caused by sharp and hard blades. Also, it provides greater smoothness and comfort while trimming your hair.
The stainless steel blades are sharp to trim/cut the hair quickly and without being painful. With that, they are curved to ensure smooth performance along it.
Philips QC5560 is only used corded. Also, it is not rechargeable.
- The blades are rotatable up to 180 degrees due to which they can easily be reached on the spots that were difficult to reach otherwise.
- The blades are curved to ensure smooth performance.
- The device is not rechargeable which reduces the tension of charging the device again and again.
- The stainless steel blades are sharp to the trimming job done quickly.
- It might not provide a close cut.
- It doesn’t have a cordless option.
Best Clippers for Black Men Buyer’s Guide
While the internet has made purchasing easier for you, it has given you so many options that it gets impossible to choose the best clipper for black men without gathering information on the top-rated choices.
In order to make your life easier, I have summarized the qualities of a good clipper; simultaneously applying those qualities to the above-mentioned hair clippers so that you can make an informed choice.
There is a vast variety of hair clippers available in the market today. Each, with its own unique features and unique characteristics, attracts a group of buyers. With this guide, you’ll be able to identify which clipper is best for you.
Types of Clippers
You can further categorize it into corded and cordless clippers. This means you can use them only while they are plugged in while some run on a battery.
Now let’s see what key features you are looking for in a clipper:
What to Look for in a Clipper?
If you are a professional hairstylist or a barber, you’d probably prefer a high-end product that has a long battery life, makes the least noise, doesn’t heat up in longer runs, and might even be a little pricey.
However, if all you want is a once or twice a week use for your kids or yourself, you’d go for a good yet economical choice.
Let’s have a look:
The company you choose:
For instance, if you are a professional who is only looking for the best quality clipper, you’ll only go for the top-rated brands like Wahl, Philips, Oster, etc.
Design and Comfortability:
All that glitters is not gold.
It is true that good design doesn’t always advocate for an effective clipper, however, good lucks never hurts.
If you get to choose from a high-quality, good-looking product and a high quality, yet poorly designed product which one would you choose? Do you see what I mean?
Moreover, it is always better to buy a clipper that has the most comfortable grip and easy access to its features to make work easier on long days.
Ease of Use:
I am sure you would agree with me that the clipper which is the easiest to use and control will be the best clipper for black hair. Specifically, if you want it for domestic use and you are just a beginner.
Too many blades or combs or a complicated design might mess up the process. A good clipper will have a hassle-free operating and cleaning system like easily cleanable blades and a lever that automatically goes from one blade to another.
Probably the most important feature to look for in a clipper is its blade. The quality, the material, the closeness, etc. It’s like the operating equipment of a clipper. You need to know whether you are looking for a titanium blade, stainless steel blade, or carbon blade.
The stainless-steel blades are probably the most used and preferred blades and go back to the very first electronic clippers. However; high-end companies have introduced new carbon steel for the upgraded clippers because they are more durable than their counterparts.
Another feature that goes side by side with the blade in any good clipper is its range of combs. Most good clippers have a comb range of 000 to 1 mm. Make sure to look for a clipper that has a range with close distances for a better shave.
Corded or Cordless:
A lot of high-efficiency clippers that provide a great output are corded with wires long enough to move around effortlessly. These are perfect for home use e.g. Oster Classic 76.
However; most professionals and hairstylists prefer a cordless one so that they can get more space to work with.
In such cases, Wahl 5 star, Remington HC4250 prove more helpful. If you go for a cordless clipper, make sure you know its battery life and how long it takes to charge it completely.
Although it’s quite impossible to find a clipper that doesn’t make any noise, you should try your best to find one with the least noise. It’s easier to focus and work with quiet clippers.
Lastly, find out about the accessories that come with the clipper before you set your heart on it. Combs, dusters, oil everything.
Even though they don’t have any direct impact on the performance of the clipper, they help a great deal in its maintenance and smooth usage.
If you follow the above guidelines, there is no reason why you wouldn’t find yourself a good fit.
How to Care for Your Hair Clipper?
No matter how efficient or highly-priced your clipper is, it will wear out in no time if you don’t take proper care. In order to make sure that you keep getting the same results as you did, in the beginning, you need to know how to take proper care of your hair clipper.
Here's how you can take care of your clipper:
- You should make sure to clean your blades every time you are done using them. (You could use a toothbrush for this purpose)
- Properly oil the blades from time to time for smooth performance. Most oils are very inexpensive and last long)
If you are cleaning and oiling your blades there is no reason why it won’t give you great performance till the very end of its life.
Frequently Asked Questions About Clippers for African American Man:
In order to look presentable and smart, most men need clippers to shave their beards or hair every once a week. Although this might be easy for some men, African American men find it hard to just use anything.
Luckily, this article gives you a list of the best clippers for black men with their rough and coarse hair. Each and every one of the above-mentioned clippers is effective enough to be used easily at home. However, if you are a professional, choose the one with a more efficient motor and blades.
Moreover, if you are a professional stylist, get a cordless clipper as it will come in handy and customers will appreciate your free space.
If you want to go for an economical choice that also suits your domestic needs, go for Oster 76. It gives an extremely close shave, with combs ranging from 000 to 1mm with 0.1 differences in range. It isn’t very technical and fairly easy to use even for a beginner.
On the other hand, if you are a professional stylist or barber who gets a whole lot of customers, you may go for Wahl 5 star professional clipper. It has a cordless battery life of more than 90 minutes, zero overlap blades, and a rotatory motor which makes shaving easy.