Shaving is as necessary as brushing the teeth for any grooming aware man but getting the flawless clean-shaven look remains a distant dream for many people. Like many of your friends and colleagues, you may have ended up getting razor burns and cuts on your chin and neck occasionally! A malfunctioning razor or shaver not only gives you such annoyances, but its usage can also mar your grooming and appearance. So, you have to pick an electric razor for personal usage with utmost care.
There are never-ending debates on which is best for shaving– rotary or foil shavers. It is a matter of personal preference and grooming needs but we feel foil shavers adapt to face contour and angles better, resulting in shaves that are close to perfect. As for electric foil shaver, the sheer abundance is sure to leave you baffled- more so if you are shopping for the device for the first time. You may try reading online reviews but not all of them are authentic. Some reviews may have a preference for specific brands and finding an unbiased detailed review is so tough.
Braun is a name to reckon with, as far as male grooming is concerned. The Braun Series 9 9290CC is its latest electric foil shaver that comes with several enticing features and offers robust performance. We have reviewed the device for some time and compared it with some other models from Braun’s portfolio as well. Read on to find out why the device is suitable for diverse shaving and trimming needs. We have tried to keep the review as unbiased and useful for the end-user as possible.
Table of Contents
- Braun Series 9 9290CC: An Introduction
- Braun Series 9 9290CC: features that make it a worth recommendation
- Pros and Cons of Braun 9290CC Foil Shaver
- What you get in the box
- Tips to get the best results
- Should you buy it?
- A comparison of Braun series 9 models: 9290CC vs 9295cc vs 9293s
- A comparison of Braun 9 series models- old and new
- A comparison of Braun Series 9 with series 7
- Where it all leads to?
Braun Series 9 9290CC: An Introduction
This Braun Electric shaver is compact and stylish and it fits in a grooming aware man’s wardrobe or travel pouch easily. The silver and black metal body oozes elegance and weighs only 2.4 pounds. We found the build’s quality to be robust so you will not have to worry about those accidental drops that can occur in the washroom. Its titanium coated blades are excellent- to say the least. We had no problems in using it on a 3-day long beard and on a totally unkempt, thick beard. Its trimming efficacy is also good and you will have no difficulty in getting the device aligned to your face contour. Overall, it offers enough punch for its price tag.
Braun Series 9 9290CC: features that make it a worth recommendation
You buy an electric shaver primarily for shaving and trimming the beard. You are also likely to use it for shaping your mustache and sideburns from time to time. We did everything you are likely to do with your facial hair using this Braun razor series 9 model. We feel its features are actually useful, unlike the gimmicky ones found in some cheaper priced rivals. Here are the features of this Braun Electric shaver that will be handy for your grooming needs:
- Easy shaving minus annoyance- The rubberized, textured grip areas on its body ensures it does not slip and fall easily. This is actually the case with most Braun models. This is convenient and actually safer when you are using the device with wet fingers and hands.
- Waterproof- Unlike some shavers that are partially waterproof or splash-proof, the Braun 9290CC is absolutely waterproof. We used it under showers and once it fell into a bucket filled with water but we had no hassles afterward. Braun says the device is waterproof up to 5 meters and we think the claim is true.
- Convenient LED display- Using cordless foil shavers is convenient but how do you know about the remaining battery amount? What if you are going on a trip and the shaver runs out of juice where you are not in a position to recharge it! With this Braun shaver series 9 model- this hassle does not exist. The Led display shows the remaining runtime and also hygiene level- I think it’s very useful. It is actually better than those older models where you get an approximate idea of the remaining battery life indicated by vertical bars. This model displays exactly how many minutes are left before it will run out of power.
- Long run time and short recharge time- The shaver gets fully charged in one hour which is impressive- in our views. Then you can use it for 50 minutes. In real life usage scenario, one single recharge is enough to keep it using for a week or more, based on your usage pattern and needs. When you are in need of a quick shave or trimming, a few minutes of recharge is all you need.
- Multi-directional shaving head- Its flexible shaving head can be adjusted in 10 ways, thereby allowing the head to cut beard and facial hair efficiently. Unless you have a very thick and unkempt beard, getting a clean-shaven look should not take much time.
- Charging and cleaning station dock- This is something you do not get in many competing shavers. The dock is excellent but the drawback is that the shaver head should be free of foam or dripping water for it to work as desired. However, you will be hard-pressed to find models that offer such quick cleaning and lubrication of shaver heads. The entire process takes only a few minutes and it is almost silent.
- Stylish and durable build- The device looks quite stylish, and I found it to be better than older 7 series models from Braun and some rivals models too. The plastic build does not mean it is fragile. The quality is solid and the grip is good enough for use with wet hands. Despite the robust build, it is not a heavy item.
Pros and Cons of Braun 9290CC Foil Shaver
What you get in the box
- Series 9 silver Wet & Dry Shaver
- Clean & Charge Station
- Cleaning brush
- Smart plug
- Travel Pouch
- Cleaning cartridge (1x)
Tips to get the best results
The Braun Electric shaver indicates charging status as well as hygiene level and so you should not have difficulty in figuring out the next recharge time. Whether you use it to shave with foam or gel or in dry mode, ensure the head is wiped clean of residue. So, the automatic cleaning/drying will begin only if you manually dry the device head after usage! I personally think this is a bit of a limitation but it works as described.
Should you buy it?
Shall you buy the Braun 9290CC electric foil shaver? Well, that will depend on your grooming priorities. Performance-wise, I think it leaves little room to grudge about. Both wet and dry shaving should not pose any difficulty for you when you use it. I liked the multipurpose LED display and quick charge feature. However, the cleaning and charging dock is what the company may improve. You need to manually clean the shaver head before you can use it in the dock. The shaver itself is compact but the dock is quite large. However, the tough travel pouch is durable and handy.
We have compared the Braun Series 9 9290CC with other models in the 9 series and other models in the lineup. Take your final call after going through the detailed comparison below.
A comparison of Braun series 9 models: 9290CC vs 9295cc vs 9293s
The Braun shaver series 9 models are quite popular and are much sought after everywhere. However, we decided to compare a few models in this series and see where they differ from one another. We have compared the models on some vital parameters.
Basically, the 9290CC and 9295 CC models are quite similar in looks and performance. While the 9295 CC is sold in glossy chrome finish the 9290CC has a matte finish silver exterior. So, the former acts as a fingerprint magnet. The 9293S is sold in glossy chrome finish as well.
A comparison of Braun 9 series models- old and new
If you have felt somewhat baffled by the naming convention of Braun shaver series 9 models, let us simplify it for you! There is consistency in the naming of these devices and once you understand the basics you can figure out what each model denotes. For example, the older series razor models begin with 90 and new ones begin with 92. The models ending with CC means they are sold with cleaning stations while those with S at end of the name lack such docks. Now, let us see what the major differences are between older and newer models in Braun razor series 9.
Braun 9295 CC vs 9095 CC
The major differences between Braun 9295 CC vs 9095 CC are in appearances than functionality as we found out. For example, both the models sport a HyperLift & Cut trimmer with titanium coating. However, in 9095 CC it is blue and the newer model has a golden hue on the trimmer part. We found charging time, mechanism, and battery life similar in both models.
Braun 9290CC vs 9090 CC
The Braun 9290CC is a wet and dry shaver but the 9090 CC is meant only for dry shaving. Again the trimmer color is the differentiator between these 2 models. You get the same accessories and the performance is also similar. While the 9090 CC is meant for dry mode operation, you can use it under the shower actually.
Braun 9293s vs 9093s
As evident from names, both the models are sold without cleaning docks. They both can be used in wet and dry modes and have cordless operations with a waterproof body. The color of the trimming clip is again the differentiator.
A comparison of Braun Series 9 with series 7
Ever since Braun unveiled the 9 series and then followed it up with a quick update, confusion among the buyers has shot up. There is a significant price difference between the two lineups as you can see. However, we will not say the 7 series models offer much inferior shaving and trimming experience compared to the Braun shaver series 9.
The 9 series models come laden with the latest features and some of them can be quite useful too. We have analyzed the popular models from both Braun 7 and 9 series. Read on the detailed comparison to figure out which one is ideal for you.
As you will see, some models in the same lineup are identical except for color such as the 9290 and 9295CC. The models we evaluated also include 9095CC, 9090cc, Series 7 790cc, Braun Series 7 799cc, and 760cc-4. We have referred to the lineup more as series 7 and 9 models than using specific model names in this section.
Where it all leads to?
Now that you have gone through detailed analysis and compression of Braun shaver series 9 and other models, you have to zero in on the apt device. Ultimately, it all boils down to your budget and grooming priorities.
I personally feel the 7 series models offer reasonably good performance for their price tags.
For nearly $100 less than the series 9 models they offer solid shaving and trimming performance. If you do not have a thick beard or keep experimenting with your stubble shape and size frequently, any 7 series model will fit your bill. I will suggest you buy a model that supports both wet and dry mode usage for practical reasons.
However, you would be mistaken to dismiss the new features used in the Series 9 models as mere gimmicks and marketing tactics. I found the titanium coated trimmer in Braun Series 9 9290CC model to be quite effective. The 10 directional pivoting head ensures faster shaving. So, the series 9 models fit the needs of men who are more grooming conscious and with deep wallets. The advanced Led display in these models is useful and better than series 7 units having bar based display indicators. There is no denying the styling look of the 9 series models either.