You would agree with me that mustache is a sign of masculinity, acumen, and leadership. Although once not in mainstream styling, mustaches and beards are making a comeback. It seems like everybody nowadays wants a big and thick mustache.
However, as easy as it might sound, growing a giant mustache is far from being easy. It requires a lot of patience, care, grooming and more importantly a DNA that has a thick mustache. Basically, if your dad and uncles had or have bold mustaches, it is likely that you would have one.
Nevertheless, there are areas in your lifestyle and grooming you can work on to get your dream mustache. We will be going through a lot of information about mustaches. So, let’s get started to help you have a big gnarly mustache.
Table of Contents
- Lifestyle Changes for Growing a Thick Mustache
- Rogaine For Men – How It Works for Better Hair Growth
- Beard Grow XL Review – A Facial Hair Supplement
- Stages of Growing a Thick Mustache - A Step-by-Step Guide
- How to Grow Handlebar Mustache - A Step-by-Step Guide
Lifestyle Changes for Growing a Thick Mustache
Your lifestyle plays an important role in the quality and quantity of your hair. Here are some of the lifestyle changes you can make to improve your facial hair quality.
- Reduce your stress level – stress is related to production of cortisol or the stress hormone. Basically, increased levels of cortisol cause decreased testosterone production. Testosterone has a direct link with facial hair growth. So, we would recommend decreasing your stress levels for better facial hair growth.
- Hair is basically a protein called keratin. Therefore, any foods rich in protein such as fish, chicken, beans, eggs, etc. should help you get better hair.
- Exercise – as if there were not already enough reasons to exercise. It helps essentially promote better metabolism. This, in turn, helps to have better blood circulation leading to better facial hair.
- Avoid sugary foods – sugar hinders the absorption of protein which is essential for hair health in general.
- Get proper sleep – lack of sleep causes a reduction in testosterone levels. Therefore, get six to eight hours of sleep for healthy testosterone levels which essentially promotes hair growth.
- Exfoliate your skin – skin exfoliation removes the dead skin cells. We recommend exfoliating your skin at least once a week. Exfoliation will help stimulate hair growth.
Rogaine For Men – How It Works for Better Hair Growth
Although initially formulated to treat higher blood pressure, Minoxidil had an unwanted side effect of increased hair growth. Later, around 1988, FDA approved Monoxil for hair loss. Moreover, 5% Monixidil or Rogaine is the approved formula for hair loss treatment in men.
Rogaine essentially works as a vasodilator. It works by enlarging the hair follicles and in essence enhancing the growth phase of a hair. Clinical trials have proved that Minoxidil works in around 90% of the men with hereditary hair loss. It basically stops the hair loss or worsening of the hair loss. Men have noticed noticeable hair regrowth in around three months.
For using Rogaine, you need to put half a cupful of foam onto your fingers. Then, use your hand to massage the area where you are experiencing hair loss. Rogaine essentially revitalizes the hair follicles that have become dormant. However, you would need the foam to absorb into the scalp before styling or blow-drying your hair.
A one-month supply of Rogaine costs around $30, so it is basically less than a coffee a day. For best results, you need to apply it twice a day. Moreover, Rogaine is as effective on facial hair as it is on the scalp.
Beard Grow XL Review – A Facial Hair Supplement
Beard Grow XL is a dietary supplement for hair growth. It 100% natural and contains no steroids or hormones. Basically, it is a facial hair specific product. It comes in pill form and you can take up to three a day.
It essentially is a multivitamin containing A, E, C, and B1 which are essential for healthy hair growth. Vitamin A stimulates hair growth. Therefore, you would see vitamin A in a lot of hair loss products. Moreover, Vitamin E has natural antioxidant properties which help treat any infection. Vitamin B1 or thiamine helps convert food into energy and is essential for healthy skin and hair.
Additionally, Brow Grow XL contains biotin which has a link with keratin production. Therefore, biotin is an essential part of hair health and growth.
Moreover, it contains saw palmetto. Although there is little evidence to suggest its efficacy in hair loss, it has shown promising results. Scientists think that it blocks the action of 5-alpha-reductase which converts testosterone to DHT. DHT is thought basically responsible for hair loss in men.
In addition to above, Beard Grow XL contains horsetail extracts. These extracts essentially contain silica or silicone which helps to strengthen the hair strands.
For optimum results, you need to take three pills a day. The things which you need to keep in mind is that do not expect results overnight. Give it at least a couple of weeks before drawing any conclusion. After a couple of weeks, your facial hair will be softer, smoother and more vital.
Stages of Growing a Thick Mustache - A Step-by-Step Guide
There are lots of ways to put it, but here is a six-step guide on how to grow a thick mustache.
Step 1 - Determine Your Eligibility
Growing a thick mustache is not for everyone. A lot of this has to do with genetics. Basically, genetics along with some other factors determine the quality and quantity of your hair. Therefore, it is important to determine whether indeed you can grow a thick mustache.
Essentially, if you have a thick beard growth, you can expect to have a mature mustache. However, if you have a patchy beard with thin hair growth, it is very unlikely you will have a thick mustache. Moreover, as said earlier, if your dad and uncles have had thick facial growth, you too can have one.
Nevertheless, if you cannot determine how your mustache is going to turn up, there is no harm in giving it a try. Grow your facial hair for four to six weeks and you can see how the adventure is going to turn out for you.
Step 2 - Let it Grow
After determining your suitability, the second step is to let your mustache grow. We recommend a period of four to six weeks of no shaving and no trimming of your mustache. The second thing during this phase is to skip shaving all of your facial hair including the beard.
This would essentially allow your mustache hair to blend with hair above your chin. This essentially is the toughest part of your growing-a-thicker-mustache adventure.
Step 3 - Groom it
Like any monumental task, growing a thick mustache is going to require a lot of care. Here are a few things you can do to have thicker facial hair in general.
- Keep it clean - the most important step in having a royal mustache is to keep it clean. This will keep your mustache free of dirt and any infectious germs. We would recommend washing it once a day with a good beard and mustache oil.
- Nourish it - regular shampooing and environmental factors are going to leave your hair dry and brittle. We would recommend using beard oil for hydration and nourishing facial hair.
We have compiled a list of best beard oils market has to offer. Any beard oil is equally good for your mustache because hair quality is the same. Additionally, Beard/mustache oil should also help calm the itch which you can feel because of thick and coarse facial hair.
- Use castor oil - there is strong evidence that castor oil increases the hair growth rate up to two to three times. In addition, it also helps to have thicker hair.
This is because of its natural antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. These would help to treat any infection or inflammation you hair might be having. Moreover, castor oil naturally has a high protein content which should help the general texture of your hair.
Step 4 - Trim the Unwanted
After you have a hair growth of four to six weeks, you can give it the lines you want it to follow. You can do this by trimming away any unwanted hair. You can do this by investing in a good quality trimmer and doing it yourself or going to a barber. However, we would recommend going to a barbershop for the first trimming.
At this stage, you can also shave the beard if you do not want it. You should also use this stage to give uniformity to both sides of the mustache.
Step 5 - Style it
After you have lined up your mustache, the next step is to enhance the style. You should the style very carefully as it is the way your mustache is going to look. Styling a mustache chiefly depends on the quantity and quality of your hair. It also depends on the shape of your skull and jawbone.
If you have an oval face, you should go for a beardstache. However, if you have a strong jaw, you can go with a full mustache.
Step 6 - Maintain it
Getting a thicker mustache is one part of the story, the rest is maintaining it. Here are some of the things you need to do to maintain your dream mustache.
- In some time, you are bound to get split ends. To help you get rid of the split ends, you would need a pair of scissors. You cannot remove split ends with a trimmer or a shaver. Our recommended pair of scissors from Sanguine has Japanese steel construction and is durable and efficient.
- Wax it - when you a thicker and mature mustache, you will need beard/mustache wax to maintain your style. Beard waxes have holding power and they also help to moisturize the facial hair.
- Comb it - agree with me or not, a couple of strands of unruly hair can ruin the whole party of you. Additionally, hairs need great efforts to prevent them from growing in any directions. A beard /mustache comb would help maintain a style and tame your hair.
- Use Conditioner - if you are able to have a thick mustache, it is likely that you have thick coarse hair. A beard/mustache softener/conditioner will keep your hair soft for grooming and will impart a shine.
How to Grow Handlebar Mustache - A Step-by-Step Guide
Handlebar mustache has been a street style favorite for some time now. Come Movember, you would see a surge in people going for a handlebar mustache. Here is a stepwise guide on how you can have this manly royal look.
Step 1 - No Trimming
Avoid trimming. Give yourself good four to six weeks of no trimming or shaving. No trimming is essentially the first step towards growing a manly mustache.
Step 2 - Tame with a Comb
In some time, you would have long enough hair to comb. We recommend to at least comb your facial hair once a day. Follow the pattern of combing your stache to left and then right. This would tame your hair to grow in the pattern you want it to grow.
Step 3 - Use Wax for the Hold
Get your mustache damp, and apply wax. Apply wax in the middle of the mustache and then spread it with a comb. Additionally, you would need to spread it thoroughly. If you have coarse and stiff hair, apply more wax.
Step 4 - Twist to Shape it
To get the trademark handlebar look, you would need to apply wax and twist your hair. You would essentially twist the hair in and up.
Step 5 - Maintain it
After you have a handlebar mustache, you would need to curl it every day to maintain the look. In addition, you would need to keep it clean and well moisturized to make it soft and smooth.
Growing a thick mustache requires a lot of patience, grooming and caring in addition to the appropriate genetics.
There are some factors you can improve to have a better quality of facial hair. These include your lifestyle factors like your stress level, sleeping patterns, and eating habits. In addition, you can work your way around your hair quality to get better-looking facial hair.
However, the quality and quantity of facial hair are largely dependent on genetics. Therefore, determine your suitability and grow your dream thick mustache by following the steps above. If you do have any queries, comment below and we would love to respond.