Table of Contents
What is the Philips Norelco PQ208/40?
The Philips Norelco brand is a leader in the electric shaver arena, with a wide variety of high-quality products and accessories for both men and women. The PQ208/40 is a specialized model designed specifically for traveling purposes. Built with durable materials and featuring battery-saving controls and industry-standard mechanisms, this electric travel shaver is ergonomically crafted and is supposed to provide a quick, clean shave on the go without the need for charging docks or electrical cords.
The Main Features
Unboxing the Philips Norelco PQ208/40 Travel Electric Shaver is simple, and using it for the first time is easy. It features only two main buttons on the built-in remote – an “on” and “off” switch. There are no variable power or speed settings on this razor, which makes it unsuitable for detail work or stubborn hair. The self-sharpening blades are situated to glide over the skin on the face, neck, and chin without causing friction or irritation. Each of the dual blades floats independently for maximum smoothness, powered evenly by two AA batteries that, of course, vary based on the brand.Furthermore, we noticed in this Philips Norelco PQ208/40 Travel Shaver review that this product comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee and a full two-year warranty, which is somewhat unheard of in the industry.
We also surmised that, in order to keep this electric shaver operating in top condition, it is essential to replace each of the floating shaver heads every year or so (or as needed). This is due to the fact that the blade tends to wear down quickly compared to non-travel type shavers.
What Comes in the Box?
Like most modern-day electric shavers, the Philips Norelco PQ208/40 comes with all the necessary parts and pieces for immediate assembly and operation. However, unlike higher-end electric shavers, the PQ208/40 Travel Razor box includes no special attachments for shaving. The product does come with a few basic accouterments, but that’s about it. Those basics include the following items:
- The Philips Norelco PQ208/40 Electric Travel Shaver (model: 510)
- A durable travel case that doubles as a soft pouch for everyday storage
- A protective cap for the dual shaver heads
- A cleaning brush to loosen cut hairs from the blades
- Two AA batteries
While you won’t find any linear attachments in the box or discover any special power features on the product, the Philips Norelco PQ208/40 Travel Electric shaver is still a true contender in the world of battery-powered grooming tools.
How It Measures Up
Speaking of how the Philips Norelco PQ208/40 stacks up to other razors, it is clear that the brand manufacturer took special care in developing an electric shaver that’s ergonomically designed for both the hand and the suitcase. A side-by-side comparison of this product with others like it would show numerous similarities, but the Philips Norelco PQ208/40 lasts up to 60 minutes with fresh batteries while quite a few others lose power after only 30 to 45 minutes.
The Good, Bad, and Ugly
We are not trying to sell you this electric razor, nor do we get paid to say good or bad things about it. However, we are very picky about what we consider high quality, so we examine each shaver with close scrutiny to help you decide whether or not it’s worth your money. After a diligent study of the main features and components, here is what we discovered:
- Perfect for Packing – It is lightweight and ergonomically designed, making it ideal for traveling in planes, trains, and automobiles.
- Long Life – The mechanisms are designed to maximize power output while minimizing power input requirements, which means your batteries last longer.
- Float Like a Butterfly – Although the product is made to provide a quick and effortless shave on the go, the durable casing holding the floating heads mimics the shave of an expensive razor.
- Self-Sufficient – Just like you don’t want to go to the barbershop every time you need a shave, the makers of the Philips Norelco PQ208/40 obviously didn’t want you to buy razors incessantly. The self-sharpening blades only need to be replaced every 12 months or so.
- No Need to Charge – The downtime experienced by other shavers as they charge their electric razor is frustrating, but the motors in this product need nothing more than fresh batteries to get going again.
- Worldwide Compatibility – The Philips Norelco brand is notorious for making products that work with worldwide voltage systems, and the PQ208/40 Travel shaver is no different.
- Power Blunder – While the dual shavers are powered by an exceptional motor, the juice begins to wane when the batteries get low or old, which can cause a problem if you don’t have a spare.
- Size Matters – The size of the Philips Norelco PQ208/40 is relatively small compared to average-sized hands, albeit it is ergonomically designed to fit snugly therein.
- Keep It Simple – It is impossible to get any precision cuts out of this product. It is strictly for getting rid of that five o’clock shadow and not much more.
As evidence, there are far more pros than there are cons to the Philips Norelco PW208/40 Travel Electric shaver. We hope this review has been able to paint a vivid picture of its main features, giving you the ability to make an educated decision about what you buy. Since the brand has been around for a long time, we suspect there will be numerous improvements to this model in the years to come. In the meantime, our verdict is that this product is well worth the money but only if you understand its limitations.